Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thank you kind stranger...

On our way to the airport in Honolulu...( I will post about Hawaii when I have more time!)....we were late. Not surprising. So, Jess had to drop off the rental car and I just told him to drop me and the bags and Shay off at the Delta terminal. Unfortunately in our rush we missed the terminal so I just told him to stop and I would get out and figure it out.
  Little did I realize just how far I was from the Delta terminal. It looked like a mile!! I had two huge suitcases...yeahhh we overpacked juuuust a bit :)....a stroller my ginormous diaper bag and shay in her car seat which unfortunately did not fit into the stroller because it was one of those cheap umbrella ones.
I probably stood there for a good minute just trying to figure something out. I wanted to cry...Shay was crying and I was sweating. Then I did the only thing that made sense.
   I ran about 50 feet with the luggage...then jogged back and grabbed shay in her carseat and pushed the stroller with my other hand. Then I would repeat the process. This was going to take FOREVER. After about 5 mins I was convinced we were going to miss our plane for sure. I was ready to just give up and wait for Jess.
  Suddenly a voice behind me startles me back into reality. A man in his mid thirties and a boy about 6 years old approach me. He has a heavy accent but speaks perfect English. He very kindly says they were going to help me. I hesitate at first and tell him he probably has to catch a plane himself and shouldn't bother..I will be fine. But I am literally holding back the tears flooding my eyes and am sweating profusely. He says no no...they are trying to get back to Peru where they are from and are on standby for at least 5 more hours. They were bored, and really wanted to help me. I am so relieved and he takes both our rolling suitcases and his son pushes the stroller while I carry Shay in her carseat all the way to check in. We chatted along the way, and he even waited and they helped me all the way through the customs check necessary in Hawaii where they scan every bag before it's checked in, and they waited with me all the way through the line until I was at the desk to check in.
 I gave him the biggest sweatiest hug ever, and finally burst into tears. He gave me a kiss on the cheek and said it was nothing really.
   Thank you kind stranger, we need more people like you in the world. I never even found out his name.

4 holla backs:

Walker Family March 16, 2011 at 11:31 PM  

Awww what a neat story! Those types of people really are few and far between. Airport with kids is brutal!

jill 'E' jam March 20, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

Man! No Peruvian has ever kissed me on the cheek! Maybe that's why you were sweaty ;) LOL That is an awesome story. The world really isn't so bad, is it? :) Yay!

Unknown March 21, 2011 at 11:03 AM  

We definitely need more people like that in the world! What a great story! Hope you guys had a good time in Hawaii!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP