Sunday, October 5, 2008

R words

This week alot of R words have impacted my life whether seriously or just humorously. Here is my list I have compiled of them:

Remission: Well, as most of you know my Mom has been doing Chemotherapy as well as going through a stemcell transplant this summer. It was pretty rough for a while, and we all have been praying and fasting and just worrying for months. This past Thursday I took Mom up to the Huntsman center at 6:30 AM to go and see her Doctor so he could give her a diagnosis after all the treatments. I was not looking forward to it, because I was expecting bad news. BUT he gave us the best news of all: Mom is in Remission! There is not a trace of cancer in her body!!! Hallelujah!! Mom and I immediately started crying and hugged, and for once they were tears of pure joy and boy did it feel good! It is so nice to know all the hard times Mom went through this summer were not for nothing!
Realization: So, as it gets closer and closer it is hitting me hard that I am going to be a Mom in less than 6 weeks! Don't get me wrong I'm totally excited! But just to try and fathom that I am really going to be a Mother and have this little life to take care of 24/7 is kind of a crazy feeling! We bought our crib and stroller and car seat this past weekend and are really starting to feel like we're ready!

Rejoice: I was so excited for conference weekend to come! And I was not disappointed! All of the talks in the 4 sessions were amazing, and I was really good and took lots of notes! But the most exciting part of it all for me was the announcement of the 5 new temples! They are all huge blessings, but the Philadelphia and Kansas City temples really hit home for me. In case any of you don't know, I grew up in Philadelphia the first 18 years of my life, so that is home for me. We were in the Washington DC temple district but the saints out there have been praying for a temple as long as I can remember! And my parents moved to Kansas City right after they took me and Aly to college and lived there for about 5 years. The closest temple to Kansas City is St. Louis which is a good 5 hours away, and is actually where I took out my endowments :) But the members there have been longing for a temple, and the membership is huge there! So it will be such a blessing to the saints in Kansas city to have a temple so close. And Rome Italy? How cool is that?? I would love to go and see that one when it's completed!!
Remenisce/Ridiculous: So on Friday night my Dad and I drove up to a wedding reception in Bountiful. Jess is on our company cruise to the Bahamas this weekend, (boo!), so I had nothing else to do and said I'd tag along. Let me give you some background info. The groom is a man named Lew Frasier, he was and is still a member of the ward I grew up in Philadelphia, the Broomall 2 ward. My dad served as one of his counselors in the bishopric right when my family moved to Philly almost 23 years ago, and he was always very sweet to my sister and I. He and his wife Marion were staple quirky characters in our ward. She was the ward chorister, and would always dress to the nines, like full on gloves and big feathery hats you name it! He was always traveling around the world for his job and would send us postcards from islands and countries I had never even heard of! Anyway, Marion died about 3 years ago, and since then Lew fell in love with a single mother in the ward named Penny. They dated and what not for over a year, and he finally popped the question. Ok, so that doesn't sound too weird right? Well...Lew is 84, and Penny 55. Yikes! Talk about age difference! And to the members of our ward it just all is kind of weird.
So, my Dad and I arrive at the wedding and go through the line and chat with some of the other people we knew who came out of the woodwork to see this wedding. As we're sitting down to dinner after the ring ceremony, I turn to my Dad and say "hey, where is Lew's daughter?", because I knew they had one son and one daughter and I had met the son, but the daughter was not in sight. My Dad leans in really close and whispers "See that man in the cowboy hat? That is their daughter. She is now a man." I about choked on my food! WOW totally not expecting that one!!
So it ended up being quite an eventful night, and they truly are in love you could just tell watching them together so it was a very happy event as well :) And it was fun to talk to the people we knew from Philly who came and remenisce about old times!





The Ring ceremony Cutting the cake! My friend Camille and I kept chanting "Smash it! Smash it!" when they fed it to each other, but they didn't to our great disapointment.
My Dad, Me and Annabelle in the middle. She's my Mom's best friend's daughter who is a ballet student at the U!

Annabelle, Camille, and I lookin fierce!

6 holla backs:

Stephanie October 5, 2008 at 9:43 PM  

dang, i cant see the cowboy i mean cow girl. That is a funny story.

and... you DO look fierce, your one hot moma!

KimWar October 6, 2008 at 12:03 AM  

You look so cute pregnant. I voted for you on the baby bump contest. I think you should have won

C & E October 6, 2008 at 3:06 PM  

Yay 4 your mom!! That is a huge relief! I can't believe that you're going to be a mom so soon..it's nuts. I must say though that you keep finding the cutest outfits to wear.

Nate and Janie October 6, 2008 at 5:59 PM  

Oh yay! I am so happy for your mom and your whole family! What a relief! I just wanted to apologize that I won't be able to make it on the 11th because of living in Colorado but I'll be thinking about you and can't wait to hear the news of a new little Maughan cousin!!

Rachel K. October 9, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

I loved this post. That cowboy story is seriously funny! Hope that we can catch up or go to lunch before the baby comes. Or after!

Brynne October 12, 2008 at 9:59 PM  

So happy for your mom...and all of you! That is great. Conference was awesome, too, wasn't it? I was so into this time for some reason. As for the mom thing...so crazy! He'll be 1 before you know it. It's wierd how slow the last few weeks goes by and then their life just flies! You guys will be great parents. That wedding sounds wierd.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP