Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Memorial Weekend In Kansas City

I flew to Kansas City to finally get to see Jess for a few days! I haven't seen him since he left at the end of March :( Boy was it good to be reunited! We totally feel like we are dating again, because we always did the long distance thing, so it's sort of funny to feel that way again!
There were some really crazy storms when I flew out! Literally 10 mins before my plane took off from SLC to Denver CNN broke the news that two tornados had touched down in Denver...AWESOME! So it was safe to say everyone on our plane was a little panicked! Once in the air, the pilot had to descend alot earlier than usual, so our turbulence was HORRIBLE. I honestly thought the plane was going down! And it realllllly didn't help my motion sickness I have from being pregnant! So once we finally landed in Denver I got really sick! So not fun! Everything else was smoothe sailing that day, and I finally got to Kansas City late that night. We had a really bad t-storm that night and Jess' apartment building got struck like 3 times! I have never heard thunder that loud in my life!
Anyways, Friday Jess went out and worked like ususal, so I checked out the gym at his complex and my friend Stephanie and I hung out all day watching tv. (Her husband sold with Jess in Dallas and Baltimore, so we're really good friends now!) Then that night I surprised Jess with a good home cooked meal which he hasn't had since he left, and I did all of his laundry, cleaned his apartment and did all his dishes! :)
Saturday Jess only worked half a day, and we went out that night to celebrate Steph's b-day. We ate at a Brazilian Churrascuria (sp?) which I have never been to before! I don't do great with alot of meat still, but I managed to try some yummy turkey wrapped in bacon, and some delicious pork tenderloin! The rest of the night I stuck with the hot/cold bar.


I have never seen one man consume so much meat as Chris did that night! We were there for almost 2 hours and he was STILL hungry! Crazy! I wish I could eat like that! Then that night Jess and I just rented some movies and did some old fashioned snuggling on the couch :)
Sunday was the only nice day that I was there. It was sunny and 90 degrees out all day! We sorta slept in, so we missed church..oops! But since I considered it a vacation, we hit up the pool for a while and caught some rays. Then we got dressed and headed to downtown Kansas City to Union Station for some Memorial Day celebration!

Inside Union Station, the architecture is gorgeous inside!

We walked around Union Station, as well as the Crown Center which is a bunch of shops and restaurants until they all closed. Then we headed outside in the intense heat to wait for the Kansas Symphony show to start! We still had a while though so we climbed up the hill across the street from Union Station to check out the WWI memorial. Me playing with a cannon. They shot several off later during the show!

We climbed all the way up the hill to see the museum but it had just barely closed! Dang it! I was absolutely exhausted from the heat and the climbing, so we decided to pick a spot in the grass and just wait for the show to start!


It was crowded here, but only got MORE crowded! I couldn't believe how many people came out! But the symphony was amazing, and they even had the LAST living war hero from WWI there! He is from Missouri, and they gave a little history on him. He fought in both World Wars, and in WWII was in a prison camp in the Phillipines and was less than 90 lbs when they liberated him! They panned the camera to him and everyone stood and clapped and cheered for over 10 mins..I had tears streaming down my face. What an amazing man!

Once the symphony was over we turned around and they had a really awesome fireworks display over the WWI memorial!

Monday, and my last day there, we woke up to MORE RAIN! boo! So we decided to go movie-hopping! A passion of ours :) We went to go see Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull, and I am a HUGE Indiana Jones not to mention Harrison Ford fan, but I was HORRIBLE DISAPPOINTED! I really thought the movie sucked and it makes me sad to say it! Oh well... we then tried to hop into a showing of Iron Man, but they were all already half way through, so we went into Prince Caspian. Also another "eh.." movie. But it was fun reguardless!

That night the weather cleared up so we had a huge bbq with the office which was yummy and fun! Then the boys all played a rousing game of sand volleyball which I was horrible unhappy that I cannot play anymore, but had fun watching :)

All in all a good weekend, but DEF not a long enough stay for me to see Jess! So I'm going back for the 4th of July and staying for at least 15 days!

0 holla backs:

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP